The heart is the most vital organ of the body. Its major function is to pump the blood to all body parts as well as to recirculate deoxygenated and oxygenated blood. Coronary arteries present on the surface of the heart supply blood to the heart. Any trouble to the heart may result in fatal condition. Heart and blood vessel disease is together known as heart disease, which may include a variety of problems. Many of these problems are related to atherosclerosis. Heart diseases like coronary heart disease, congestive heart failure, heart attack and congenital heart disease may be one of the leading causes of death in men and women.
Common cardiovascular conditions
Some of the common cardiovascular conditions are rheumatic heart disease, hypertensive heart disease, ischemic heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, inflammatory heart disease, heart attack, ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke. Some other types of cardiovascular diseases include heart failure, arrhythmia and heart valve problems.
Causes and Symptoms of Heart Disease
There are several risk factors for heart disease. A person with family history is at the higher risk of developing heart disease. The higher levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol as well as elevated levels of triglycerides can also increase the risk of heart disease. Some other risk factors for heart disease are high blood pressure, high-fat diet, lack of exercise, being overweight, ongoing stress or depression, diabetes and smoking.
Many people are not even aware about they are having heart disease. That’s why it’s better to have regular health check-up. Get your blood pressure and blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels checked up regularly. If you notice any of the symptoms like chest pain (angina), sweating, shortness of breath, pain, weakness or numbness in your arms of legs, feeling of weakness or tiredness and nausea or stomach upset, you should immediately consult the doctor. The treatment is given depending upon the condition and type of heart disease. In case of any heart disease, getting prompt treatment is very important.
Home Remedies for Heart Disease
It is always better to prevent the disease than to cure it. In case of heart disease, it is very important to consult the doctor and get immediate treatment. Additionally, you may go with some home remedies and adopt healthy lifestyle changes to avoid further complications and improve the health of your heart.
You need to limit the foods with high fats and salt in your diet. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are more preferable than saturated fats. Omega-3 fatty acids are known to help lower the cholesterol levels and blood pressure. They help to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis and in turn, the risk of heart attack and stroke.
You need to adopt healthy lifestyle like regular exercising and stay away from unhealthy habits like smoking and alcoholism. Since being overweight may be one of the major risk factors for heart disease, you should take efforts to maintain a healthy weight by the means of balanced diet and work-out. Stress can increase the risk of heart diseases. Therefore, you need to adopt stress management techniques. Getting enough sleep is also important, as it may decrease the risk of developing coronary artery calcification.
Regular exercising is beneficial not only for the heart health, but also for your overall well-being. Aerobic exercises such as jogging, jumping rope, walking, bicycling, swimming, aerobics and cardio exercises are specifically considered to be helpful to strengthen the heart. They can help to improve the blood circulation and lower the blood pressure. Additionally, regular work-out can help to maintain a healthy body weight as well as reduce stress, which is associated with heart and many other diseases.
A variety of herbs is available known to be beneficial for the heart disease.
- Garlic: According to the studies, garlic is beneficial for high cholesterol, high blood pressure and coronary heart disease. It can help to slow the progression of atherosclerosis and improves blood circulation. Garlic is known for its antithrombotic and antiplatelet aggregatory effects.
- Arjuna: Terminalia arjuna is another beneficial herb for heart conditions. It is considered to be a natural cardio-tonic and cardiac restorative. This herb is known to strengthen the cardiac muscles and also reduces arterial congestion and reduces blood pressure.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is known to prevent atherosclerosis. Its active ingredient called curcumin helps to reduce cholesterol oxidation, clot formation and plaque build-up and thus maintains heart health. Additionally, turmeric can help to lower LDL levels. Offering antioxidant effects, turmeric is known to provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Hawthorn: This herb is known to help increase blood flow to the heart as well as improve cardiac muscle contractions. Thus it helps to improve blood pumping action. Hawthorn is also known to provide anti-arrhythmic effect, which helps for steady heartbeat.
- Fenugreek: It is known for its anti-oxidant and cardio-protective benefits. This excellent herb is known to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis. It is also known to reduce platelet aggregation and decreases the risk of abnormal blood clotting, which may lead to heart attack and stroke.