Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is one of the neurological disorders, which is characterized by the symptoms like pulling, throbbing, creeping or painful sensation in the legs. The symptoms usually tend to ease with movements of legs. The symptoms may worsen during early evening or at night, when the person is at rest. The severity of abnormal sensations may range from uncomfortable feeling to irritating or it may be extremely painful condition. Lying down or to be in relaxed state can aggravate the condition. It may cause difficulty in falling asleep. If left untreated, RLS can cause disrupted sleep and fatigue. Both men and women are affected by SLR; however, women are more likely to develop the condition. It may start in any age group. The condition becomes chronic, if any person is severely affected in the middle or older age.
Signs and Symptoms of Restless Leg
About 80% of people suffering from RLS may experience a condition called periodic limb movement of sleep (PLMS). It may cause involuntary leg movements during sleep, which may occur every 15-40 seconds. It may occur even throughout the night. The sensation typically starts, when you are having rest or sitting for a prolonged time. You may get relief by moving, walking or stretching the leg. RLS may cause the sensations like crawling, pulling, creeping, itching, aching or throbbing within the limb.
Causes of RLS
In most of the cases, there is no specific reason for restless leg syndrome. This is referred as idiopathic RLS or primary RLS. This type of RLS is hereditary and may run in families. According to the neurologists, dopamine is considered to play a role in controlling muscle movements. This chemical may be responsible for involuntary leg movements related to RLS. In some cases, RLS may be caused due to some underlying health conditions like iron deficiency anemia or kidney failure. Restless leg syndrome may be related to pregnancy. Approximately one in five women may experience the symptoms of RLS during the last trimester.
Treatment for Restless Leg
Finding out the underlying cause of RLS and treating the same can greatly help relieve the symptoms of restless leg. For example, if iron deficiency is the reason for RLS, then taking iron supplements can help reduce the condition. If RLS is not associated with any specific health condition, then the treatment is focused on lifestyle changes. There are certain prescription medications that are found to be helpful in reducing restlessness in the legs, such as medications that increase dopamine levels in the brain, drugs that affect calcium channels, narcotic medications, muscle relaxants and sleep medications. However, these medications can be taken for short term and after certain period of time, they may become ineffective.
Home Remedies for Restless Leg
Making certain changes in lifestyle and following some simple home remedies can work great to alleviate the symptoms of restless leg.
- You may try warm baths and massages. Soaking in a warm bath and giving massage to your legs can help give relief to the muscles.
- Application of warm or cool packs can also be helpful. You may use cold or heat, or alternating use of both. It can help reduce your limb sensations.
- Since stress can aggravate the RLS symptoms, try to reduce stress by adopting various relaxation techniques, such as yoga or meditation.
- Since fatigue may worsen the symptoms of RLS, it is very necessary to practice good sleep hygiene. You should maintain cool, comfortable environment while sleeping to get enough sound sleep.
- Along with these remedies, regular exercising is also a very important aspect in treating RLS. Leg stretches can help relieve the symptoms. However, you need to avoid overdoing exercise or doing it too late in the day, as it may worsen the symptoms.
- Additionally, you need to make certain changes in your dietary habits. Cutting down caffeine in the diet may help reduce restless leg pain. Try to avoid caffeine containing products like chocolate and beverages like tea, coffee and soft drinks. A deficiency of iron, folate or magnesium may aggravate the symptoms of restless leg syndrome. In order to avoid this, you need to include a variety of nutrient-rich foods in your diet to get all the essential vitamins and minerals.
If you are not getting enough relief from the symptoms by following simple home remedies, then you may opt for some activated remedies, which you can get from the e-book named ‘Eliminate Restless Leg Syndrome’ authored by Jeremy Coughlin. It reveals 100% proven, easy 2-step system that can help you get instant relief from RLS symptoms. This all natural formula assures 100% guarantee to give permanent relief. This e-book can be easily downloaded from the website Eliminate Restless Leg Syndrome. So, follow this program and forget about restless leg and have a life full of more energy and more outgoing.