Leaky Gut syndrome refers to a condition in which the small intestine becomes hyper permeable enabling substances to leak from the intestine into the bloodstream. The intestinal walls are semipermeable – they block certain substances and allow others to pass through into the bloodstream. Nutrients and specific molecules are allowed to pass through and undigested food, toxins are blocked. Any damage to the lining of the gut causes undigested food particles, toxins and microbes which are supposed to be blocked by the intestinal lining to pass into the blood stream. These foreign objects in the blood stream trigger the immune system into action leading to allergies and other autoimmune disorders. It is also debated that psychological disorders like anxiety, autism and bipolar disorder may be linked to intestinal permeability which in turn affects the brain.
Causes of Leaky Gut:
Leaky Gut may be caused by a various factors. Chronic constipation causes the gut lining to become irritated and inflamed due to the presence of toxins in the stools. This inflammation causes the expansion of the pores in the small intestine and over a period of time leads to irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn’s disease or colitis. Imbalance of the bacteria within the gut when the bad bacteria outweighs he good bacteria is also a cause for leaky gut. This causes inflammation of the gut expanding the pores and making it become more permeable. Chronic stress weakens the immune system and may also lead to inflammation of the gut. External toxins like pesticides, unpurified water and certain anti-biotics result in irritation and inflammation of the intestine causing leaky gut.
Symptoms of Leaky Gut:
The symptoms of leaky gut include formation of gas, bloating of the stomach, sensitivity to food and body aches and pains. Leaky gut may also manifest itself in the form of other disorders like eczema or psoriasis, autoimmune conditions affecting the thyroid, rheumatoid arthritis, autism and mental disorders.
How to treat Leaky Gut Naturally:
Leaky Gut can be treated by practicing healthy lifestyle habits along with a suitable diet. Herbal home remedies are very effective in treating this condition.
– Strictly avoid food that are damaging to the gut like sugar, gluten, processed foods, refined grains, meat, alcohol, caffeine and dairy products.
– Try to avoid exposure to toxins in tap water, NSAIDS and pesticide. Drink only purified water.
– Consume a diet rich in fiber as it flushes out harmful bacteria form the body.
– Minimize stress, exercise and get adequate sleep to support healing.
Herbal remedies for Leaky Gut:
- Consume probiotics which help in restoring the balance in the intestine. Yogurt and raw cheese are good sources of probiotics.
- Fermented vegetables like Sauerkraut, Kimchi and Kvass contain organic acids and probiotics to balance the pH of the gut.
- Coconut products are also useful in treating leaky gut.
- Seeds like chia seeds, flaxseeds and hemp seeds have high fiber content and promote the growth of good bacteria in the gut.
- Consume L-glutamine as it protects the gut lining and removes irritants.
- Aloe vera is also very useful as it supports healing.
- Licorice root and slippery elm soothe the membranes of the digestive tract.
- Ginger and peppermint are beneficial as they have anti-inflammatory properties.
Activated Home Remedies
In the ‘Leaky Gut Protocol’ Karen Brimeyer presents a natural 4 step-process to heal leaky gut permanently. This eBook is downloadable from the website http://leakygut.activatedhomeremedies.com/ and provides effective techniques to cure leaky gut. It also identifies the commonly consumed foods which worsen the disease and suggest changes in lifestyle which when incorporated drastically reduce the time for healing this condition.
Leaky Gut is a condition which causes a wide range of health complications. A variety of foods and conditions may lead to allergic reactions and worsen the symptoms. Due to reduced immunity the person suffers from illnesses is always stressed and tired. Hence use the above method which can promote the healing of the leaky gut and eliminate it permanently to become healthy and fit.