Snoring refers to the loud and harsh sound which a person can make while sleeping. On inhalation, the air flowing from the nose or mouth to the lungs can cause the tissues of the throat and upper palate to vibrate resulting in snoring. Snoring may be anindication other medical conditions and can disturb the sleeping patterns of the person and the partner. When the person is awake he does not snore because the throat muscles firmly hold the tissues at the back of the throat and the airway is wide enough. However, while sleeping the muscles relax and the tissues collapse and block the airway causing the person to snore. Snoring is more prevalent in middle aged and overweight men although it can occur in women and children also.
Causes of Snoring:
Any obstruction in the path from the nose to the lungs causes snoring. While sleeping excess relaxation of the muscles in the airway or tissue accumulation obstructs the air and snoring occurs. During inhalation as the air passes through the narrow or blocked pathway to the lungs the soft palate at the roof of the mouth vibrates. The factors which promote the muscles to relax or tissues to buildup thereby resulting in snoring include consumption of alcohol, taking sedatives like sleeping pills or medicines for cold, sleeping on a soft and large pillow and obesity. Deformities in the respiratory tract and or a deviated nasal septum also cause snoring. Inflammation of the tonsils is also a reason for snoring.
Symptoms of Snoring:
The symptoms of snoring include noise while sleeping which causes interrupted sleep. This results in sleepiness during daytime which in turn causes irritation, inability to concentrate on the task at hand and anger. Sore throat, choking or gasping during sleep, high blood pressure and chest pain may also occur. Snoring may progress to serious disorders like upper airway resistance syndrome or sleep apnea where the airways are completely blocked and breathing is nearly stopped.
How to treat Snoring Naturally:
Snoring can be prevented or reduced by following certain therapies, self -care measures, changes in lifestyle and by using certain Herbal home remedies.
– Reduce weight – Obese people may have tissue accumulation in the throat which may cause snoring.
– Sleep sideways – Sleeping on the back may cause the tongue to fall back down the throat and obstruct the air flow. Fitting a tennis ball in the back of the pajamas can help prevent going back to sleep on your back at night.
– Sleep on a raised bed – Raise the head of the bed by a few inches by using some support beneath the bed.
– Use Nasal strips – These are adhesive strips which can be stuck on the nose and help to keep the nasal passage wide during sleep.
– Avoid nasal congestion – Treat allergies as this blocks the nasal passage and causes breathing through the mouth.
– Do not drink alcohol prior to sleeping and avoid sedatives as much as possible.
– Use therapies like playing a musical instrument called the didgeridoo which strengthens the muscles of the upper respiratory tract. This is found to be helpful in reducing sleepiness during daytime and snoring at night.
– Practice singing exercises as this improves the control of the upper palate and the throat and helps in preventing snoring.
– Perform throat exercises as given below daily for half an hour as these strengthen the muscles in the upper respiratory tract and reduce snoring. Repeat vowels like a, e, i, o, u loud for few times. Open your mouth and move the jaws sideways. Tense the throat muscle at the back of your throat with your mouth open. Close your mouth and purse your lips. Repeat few times.
Herbal remedies for Fixing Snoring:
- Place two drops of Brahmi oil or clarified butter in each nostril once in the morning and at night.
- Mix cardamom powder in a glass of warm water and consume at bedtime.
- Add 2 tsp. of turmeric powder to milk and drink before going to bed.
- Mix ginger with honey and consume. Ginger increases saliva secretion and lubricates the throat. This helps so prevent snoring.
- Gargle with a peppermint mouthwash as this helps cure allergies and congestion.
- Drink tea made from nettles as this cures allergies due to pollen.
Activated Home Remedies To Stop Snoring
Christian Goodman offers a natural treatment method to cure snoring completely using a 3 minute exercise program. This step-by-step method is explained in the eBook ‘Stop Snoring Program’ available at http://snoring.activatedhomeremedies.com/. This contains a set of 24 exercises to strengthen and tone the upper respiratory tract muscles and open up the airways thereby completely eradicating snoring.
A peaceful and uninterrupted sleep is the one of the basic needs. Snoring disrupts sleep and reduces the ability of the individual to perform to his full potential during daytime. It a source of irritation and nuisance not only for the sufferer and but for the partner also. Moreover it can progress to dangerous conditions like sleep apnea. Therefore try the exercises in the above method to get rid of snoring naturally and permanently and enjoy a good nights’ sleep.