Tonsil stones also known as tonsilloliths are deposits of minerals, bacteria or mucus which form in the nooks and crevasses of the tonsils. This debris amasses and solidifies into white formations. These stones are mostly made up of food particles, leukocytes, bacteria or excess saliva which gets lodged in the tonsils. While the starch and carbohydrates of the food particles are dissolved by the digestive enzymes, the harder parts remain in the tonsils to form stones. These stones are more prevalent in people who have chronic inflammation of the tonsils or tonsillitis. Some stones are visible in the back of the throat while most remain hidden in the folds of the tonsils. While most of these stones are very small some of the tonsillolith are pea sized and have a pungent smell.
Causes of Tonsil Stones:
Tonsil stones are mainly caused by infections like cryptic tonsillitis, cold, flu and by poor oral hygiene. The food particles caught in the tonsils begin to rot and form bacteria which infect the tonsils.Cryptic Tonsillitis is a condition where deep pits form in the tonsils. Theses accumulate the fluids and solid particles which are broken down by the enzymes and form tonsil stones.
Symptoms of Tonsil Stones:
The main symptom of Tonsil Stones is bad breath. A feeling of something stuck in the throat may be experienced along with discomfort and a sore throat. The stone may sometimes cause difficulty in swallowing. Ear pain may also be caused if it touches the nerve paths. Swelling of the tonsils and a metallic taste in the mouth are also symptoms.
How to Get Rid of Tonsil Stones Naturally:
Tonsil Stones which are small in size can be removed at home and home remedies are found to be very effective in the treatment of tonsil stones and eliminating bad breath.
– Small tonsil stones which have surfaced can be removed using a toothbrush.
– Stones can also be removed at home using Q-tips or tweezers. Press the bottom of the Tonsil stone with a Q-tip or finger so that it is pushed up and can be removed.
– Smaller stones can be brought to the surface by gargling with saline solution and can be sucked out using Medicine droppers.
– Flex the throat and raise the tongue to the roof of the mouth and swallow. This tenses the tonsils and helps to dislodge the stones and may cause them to pop out.
– Maintain proper oral hygiene. Brush your teeth at night before going to bed. Use oxygenating toothpastes and mouth wash daily.
Home remedies for Tonsil Stones:
- Lemon juice is very good home remedy for tonsil stones. Prepare a mixture with five table spoons of lemon juice and a pinch of salt in warm water. Gargle for 2-3 minutes. Follow this step regularly.
- Aloe vera gel can be used for cleansing the tongue and getting rid of tonsil stones.
- Garlic has anti-bacterial properties and will assist in combating the sulfur producing bacteria which is a cause for tonsil stone formation. Consuming garlic cloves is useful in eliminating bacteria and bad breath.
- Extra virgin oil has anti-inflammatory properties and gargling with it helps in removing tonsil stones.
- Gargle with a mixture made up of apple cider vinegar in warm water as this can be used to dissolve the calcium in the tonsil stones and provide relief.
- Salt water gargling is also beneficial as it acts as a mouth wash and removes bad breath.
- Chew crunchy raw vegetables like celery, carrot and cucumbers to remove the tonsil stones and send them along the digestive tract. The fibers in these vegetables brush the stones from the folds of the tonsils.
- Use saline nasal irrigation or a nasal spray to clean the nasal passage of post nasal drip thereby reducing the possibility of stone formation.
- Consume sugar free probiotic curd. The good bacteria in this curd help to eliminate the sulfur producing bacteria which cause tonsil stones.
- Black peppermint extract removes bad breath and bacteria.
Activated Home Remedies for Quick Removal
Diane Puttman’s eBook ‘Banish Tonsil Stones’ provides a simple step-by-step method to permanently eliminate tonsil stones. This eBook provides an easy to follow natural four step remedy for tonsil stones, bad breath and its recurrence and is available at http://tonsilstones.activatedhomeremedies.com/. It focuses on the root cause for the formation of the stones and also gives detailed information on the subject and the foods which are to be eaten and avoided to get rid of tonsil stones without surgery and other medications.
Tonsil stones are chronic, cause discomfort and are a huge source of embarrassment due to the foul smell they produce. Surgical removal is painful, has a long recovery time and does not guarantee non-recurrence. Hence try the ‘Banish Tonsil Stones’ method and permanently get rid of Tonsil stones and resume your active social life.