Shingles is a rash which appears as a band or patch on the skin and is very painful. It is caused by the varicella zoster virus which is the same virus that causes chicken pox. It appears on one side of the face or body and is also called herpes zoster. A person who has had an attack of chicken pox may develop shingles later. Shingles is usually prevalent in people above the age of fifty as they have a weak immune system. Although a person who has not had chicken pox before is susceptible to get it from a person who has shingles, it is not possible to get shingles from a person affected by shingles.
Causes of Shingles:
Shingles is caused by the re-activation of the chicken pox virus. In people who have had chicken pox, some virus is dormant in the nerve roots next to the spinal cord. Years later this becomes active again, multiplies and passes form through the nerve to the skin and causes shingles. Shingles may occur after a period of illness or stress where there is a slight suppression of the immune system .This is the reason why older people with a weak immune system or younger people with HIV/AIDS contract shingles.
Symptoms of Shingles:
Shingles develops in stages. The Prodromal stage before the appearance of rash is characterized by headache, sensitivity to light, and pain along with burning or tingling sensation in the affected area of the skin. Symptoms of flu without fever may also be present. In the active stage rash occurs in a band or strip on any part of the body but only on one side. Blisters filled with fluid form. This is accompanied by piercing pain and itching. After few days the blisters will break open and form scabs and then dry away. The rash disappears after about 2-4 weeks. Scars may remain for some people. Further, shingles may cause a complication called postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) where the person feels persistent pain in the area affected by singles along with extreme sensitivity to touch. This may prevent the person from leading a normal life and lead to depression.
How to treat Shingles Naturally:
The pain and discomfort caused by shingles and its duration may be alleviated by using home treatments. Herbal home remedies can also be used for the treatment of shingles.
– Wear loose fitting cotton clothes so that the rash is not irritated.
– Use a cooling pack made of ice cubes wrapped in a plastic bag on the affected area.
– Apply calamine lotion on the rash for a soothing effect.
– Use a wet compress with water or Burow’s solution to clean away crusts and fluids so that they can dry faster.
Home remedies for Shingles:
- Apply lemon-balm tea on the affected area using a cotton ball several times a day. Lemon-balm contains polyphenols and is very effective in combating shingles. A few teaspoons of this herb can be immersed in boiling water to make this concoction.
- Consume a teaspoon of flaxseed oil twice a day as this provides fatty acids for a healthy nervous system and skin.
- Apply Capsaicin which is derived from cayenne or chili pepper on the rash for pain relief.
- Take Cat’s-claw extract which has anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties. However do not take this during pregnancy.
- Include Garlic which has anti-viral properties in the diet.
- Apply or drink licorice tea regularly as this has anti-viral properties.
- Consume Oat-straw extract as this has a calming effect on the nervous system.
- Take Reishi mushroom extract which is an anti-dote for shingles.
- St. John’s wort extract which has anti-viral properties can be used.
- Use a mixture of Echinacea, nettle, goldenseal and siberian ginseng for increasing immunity and fighting shingles.
Activated Home Remedy for Shingles
In the website http://shingles.activatedhomeremedies.com/ provides a proven natural solution for the treatment of singles. Bob Carlton who himself had suffered from Shingles and has benefited from this treatment, specifies this step-by-step natural method in his eBook ‘Fast Shingles Cure’. This method immediately relieves the pain and itching and cures shingles within 3 days. This includes home remedies, bathing procedures for quick healing and prevention of scars. This eBook also mentions the foods which are not to be consumed as they can aggravate shingles.
Shingles is a very painful rash with pus filled blisters which is causes immense agony for the sufferer. It prevents the person from pursuing his activities until the scabs have fallen over and causes a lot of stress. It can lead to complications like PHN which may result in depression also. Try this fast, natural and safe method for curing shingles in a very short period and be relieved of the physical and mental agony at the earliest.