Angular cheilitis can be explained as inflammation at one or both corners of the mouth or oral commissures. It is also termed as angular stomatitis and cheilosis. This causes appearance of sensitive sores, causing a little discomfort at starting. Eventually, it may become serious, causing dryness, cracking and red lesions. It may last for a few days or may persist for indefinite period, depending upon the underlying causes.
Causes of Angular Cheilitis
Single or multiple factors may be responsible for angular cheilitis. Deficiency of minerals like iron, zinc and vitamin B12, poor hygiene, advanced age, poorly fitting dentures are some of the causes for angular cheilitis. It is a common problem that may affect children and adults with poor health. People with diabetes, systemic illness such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn disease, atopic dermatitis or celiac disease are more prone to develop angular cheilitis. Use of antibiotics or systemic corticosteroid, or oral retinoid medications such as isotretinoin for acne and acitretin for psoriasis may also trigger angular cheilitis.
Symptoms of Angular Cheilitis
A person suffering from angular cheilitis may experience the symptoms like painful cracks or fissures, redness at the corners of the mouth. There may be blisters, erosions, crusting, oozing and bleeding. In minor cases, the person may experience appearance of small blisters and stiffness in the corners of the mouth. The person may experience slight uneasiness when opening the mouth wide. In severe cases, the person may feel it very difficult to eat or talk. The edges of the mouth get split, which cannot be cured easily.
Treatment for Angular Cheilitis
No treatment is required in many cases. Angular cheilitis recovers itself within a specific period of time. Depending upon the underlying causes, the doctor may prescribe lip balm or thick emollient ointment, topical antiseptic, topical or oral antistaphylococcal antibiotic, topical and oral antifungal medications, topical steroid ointments and filler injections or implants to recover oral commissures.
Home Remedies for Angular Cheilitis
Besides these conventional treatments, a variety of simple home remedies are available that you may follow to cure angular cheilitis. These natural treatments are free of adverse effects and give effective results. Another benefit of home remedies is that the ingredients used for the treatment are easily available.
- Honey: Known for its antiseptic and antifungal properties, honey is found to be an excellent home remedy to heal angular cheilitis. Due to its antimicrobial effect, it works great to fight the infection-causing microorganisms. Apply a good quantity of honey to the affected area and leave it for about 15 minutes. Due to its sweet taste, it can be used even for small children.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is known for offering a soothing effect. It can be used to treat a variety of skin conditions. It can be one of the best home remedies for angular cheilitis. It can help to relieve pain due to angular cheilitis. It can also help treat the infection completely. It is better to use fresh aloe vera gel extracted from aloe vera plant. Rub gently on the affected area and leave it for about 15 minutes. It can be done twice a day.
- Water: Keep yourself well-hydrated is the best treatment for angular cheilitis. Drink enough of water every day to prevent dry and chapped lips. Daily consumption of minimum 10-12 glasses of water is essential to heal cracked lips.
- Coconut Oil: It is also one of the best natural moisturizers, which can help prevent dry skin. It also helps to eliminate harmful microorganisms that are responsible for various skin problems. Apply coconut oil to the affected corners of the mouth 3-4 times a day. It can help relieve pain and prevent further complications.
- Cocoa Butter: Cocoa butter is the best moisturizer and the most preferred home remedy for treating angular cheilitis. It can effectively help to get rid of dry, chapped lips and prevents further damage. You may apply cocoa butter on the affected lips twice or thrice a day, which can help keep them moisturized.
- Olive Oil: It has been used since centuries to treat a variety of skin disorders. It acts as a moisturizer to treat angular cheilitis. Apply a small quantity of warm olive oil over the affected area twice a day. Due to its antibacterial properties, it can help to destroy the harmful microorganisms. You can add a few drops of lemon juice to olive oil to improve the efficiency of this remedy.
- Lemon: It is one of the easily available ingredients at home. It is known for powerful antioxidant properties and can help to eliminate harmful microbes. You may rub a slice of lemon over the lips in order to cure the infection. It might give a stinging sensation, but surely helps to heal the wounds.
- Cucumber: Cucumber can help to soothe pain due to angular cheilitis. Gently rub a piece of cucumber on the affected area twice a day. You may refrigerate it for some time to make it cooler. Application of cool piece of cucumber can give a lot of relief from pain and alleviates soreness due to angular cheilitis.
- Neem Leaves: Neem is known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties. Crush the fresh neem leaves and extract the juice. Apply it on the affected areas, which can help to eliminate infection-causing microbes.
- Lip Balms and Moisturizers: Lip balms such as virgin coconut oil or petroleum jelly are the best natural treatments for angular cheilitis. They can also help heal the infection. But, remember that these balms and moisturizers should be unscented and unflavored as well as free from any chemical substances.
Along with home remedies, it is necessary to follow certain precautionary measures to prevent recurrence. Avoid licking your lips. Keep your lips moisturized by using the right moisturizers. Drink plenty of water to prevent dry lips. Boost your immune system by the means of adequate diet and proper exercising. Since inadequate nutrition and deficiency of vitamins and minerals can be a primary cause of angular cheilitis in many cases, it is necessary to have a healthy and balanced diet. You should include more of vitamin B complex rich foods such as tomatoes, carrots, spinach and legumes.
Activated Home Remedies
If you wish to get instant and more effective results, you may go with some activated home remedies. You may get the fastest way to cure angular cheilitis permanently on http://angularcheilitisfreeforever.activatedhomeremedies.com/. Jason White has brought safe, all-natural and non-irritating program called ‘Angular Cheilitis Free Forever™’. It is a simple and easy-to-follow effective solution to get rid of angular cheilitis. You will start getting good results within a few hours. In addition to that, you can get free e-books like ‘Superfoods for Optimum Health: Chlorella and Spirulina’, ‘The Healing Power of Water’, ‘177 Ways To Burn Calories’, ‘Supplementing With Superfoods’, ‘The Seven Secrets to a Good Diet’, ‘43 Nutrition Secrets’ and ‘Revealed A Handbook of Health’.