Among various body systems, digestive system is of great importance. It assumed that the root cause of many disorders lies in disturbances of digestive system. Among various digestive conditions, diverticulitis is the most common, which affects colon or large intestine. This condition results from the inflammation of single or more diverticula present in the digestive tract. Diverticula are the small, bulging pouches formed anywhere in the digestive system, including stomach, large intestine, small intestine or esophagus. Consumption of low-fiber foods or processed foods can cause diverticulosis. When diverticula get infected and inflamed, then the condition is referred to as diverticulitis. It gives rise to the symptoms like abdominal cramping, more severe on the lower left side, abdominal pain, gas, bloating, nausea, diarrhea or constipation, presence of blood in the stools and fever. Aging, obesity, smoking, lack of exercise and low-fiber diet are some of the risk factors for diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis can be treated in various ways. The treatment option depends upon the severity of the symptoms. Mild cases can be treated with home remedies; while for severe cases, hospitalization may be required. The doctors usually prescribe antibiotics to treat infection and antispasmodics to relieve cramping as well as analgesics to reduce pain. However, you may go with simple, yet effective home remedies, which may help accelerate healing.
Home Remedies for Diverticulitis
Home remedies have become popular, as they are less expensive and without any side-effects. Also, they can be easily followed and give effective results. Home treatment for diverticulitis can help ease the symptoms and reduce the chances of recurrent attack of diverticulitis.
– You may apply a heating pad to the abdomen to relieve mild pain and cramps caused by mild diverticulitis. You may also try relaxation techniques like slow, deep breathing or meditation to reduce mild pain.
– As soon as the symptoms of diverticulitis are noticed, what you need to do is to rest your bowels. Following a special elemental liquid diet is the solution to achieve this aim. The doctors recommend taking plain water, clear soda, gelatin as well as fruit juices without pulp. You need to stay away from the foods that can cause more inflammation. Along with this type of liquid diet, if you go for colonic massage, then it is found to be more helpful.
– Once you find yourself feeling better, you should follow certain dietary changes to prevent recurrent attacks. Since lack of fiber in the diet is one of the major causes of diverticulitis, you need to include adequate amount of high-fiber foods in your diet. Your diet should be rich in cereals, whole grain breads, brown rice, fresh vegetables and fruits. Fruits like pear, avocado, orange and apple, dried fruits like apricots and prunes, vegetables like beans, peas, Brussel’s sprouts, carrots and potatoes as well as nuts like almonds, peanuts and Brazil nuts are some of the excellent sources of fiber.
– In addition to dietary changes, it is essential to take nutritional supplements like multi-vitamins, multi-minerals and probiotics like Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus bifidobacteria and plantarum.
– Yet another helpful treatment option for diverticulitis is herbal remedies. A large variety of herbs with their anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties can used to relieve the symptoms of diverticulitis. They include flaxseed, cat’s claw, slippery elm, licorice, wild yam, marshmallow and chamomile. These herbs can be used in the form of dried extracts or tinctures.
Along with these home remedies, you should adopt a healthy lifestyle. You need to drink plenty of water and fluids to avoid constipation. Regular exercising is also very important for normal bowel function. Stay away from unhealthy habits like smoking and alcoholism.
Activated Home Remedies
You can treat diverticulitis with some activated home remedies, which you may find in ‘Diverticulitis Breakthrough’ authored by Mark Anastasi. Go through the success stories and discover all new concepts to reverse your diverticulitis and regain your health. You may download this e-book from the site http://diverticulitis.activatedhomeremedies.com/. Visit this site and step ahead to a healthy living.